In the Heart of it All – SCBWI: Northern Ohio’s 12th Annual Conference
September 19-20, 2014
Registration for SCBWI: Northern Ohio IN THE HEART OF IT ALL 2014 fall conference opens MONDAY, JULY 7 at 10:00am for SCBWI members.
Here is the link to the event website which lists everything you need to know in advance of online registration: https://www.regonline.com/2014SCBWINorthernOhiofallconference . You will see links (click here) throughout the website for the conference brochure, critique submission guidelines, illustrator portfolio guidelines, menu and 2015 calendar contest. Those pdf files will open in a new window. All of your selections (conference fee/breakout sessions/food/add-ons) will happen when you register. More tips and info will come on registering. When registration opens on July 7, the REGISTER NOW button will show.
In the meantime, soak up all the conference info! We encourage you to have your selections planned in advance of registering. Critique slots go quickly as will intensives which have a cap of 25 participants. Register early for your best options.
If you have any questions, please email Denise. We are very excited about this conference and look forward to seeing you in September!
Here's a sneak peek:
Keynotes, Breakout sessions, Intensives, Critiques (Friday and Saturday times) both face-to-face critique meetings and written offered. Attendees have the option to purchase (1) of each, in addition to selecting faculty and critique times (register early as slots fill quickly). GET BUSY NOW- submitting is around the corner!
The conference schedule continues to sport well received instructional sessions while adding a few new things and some past events to the weekend. Be sure to attend the “Meet and Greet” – a great opportunity for networking! Our Publication Celebration continues as a highlight – check the criteria on the registration to see if you qualify as an honoree. All celebrated members’ books will be available in our wonderful bookstore, Mac’s Backs. They are working hard researching great books while accommodating our faculty’s recommendations.
Introducing our Stellar Faculty
Louise Borden, Author
Jody Casella, Author
Jeffrey Ebbeler, Author/Illustrator
Emily Feinberg, Editorial Assistant, Macmillan/Roaring Brook Press
Trudy Krisher, Author
Laurent Linn, Art Director, Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Matt Ringler, Editor, Scholastic Book Group
Danielle Smith, Literary Agent, Red Fox Literary
Kerry Sparks, Agent & eBook Manager, Levine/Greenberg Literary Agency, Inc.
Carol Topp, CPA/Author
Alison Weiss, Associate Editor, Egmont USA
General Session Presenters:
Laurie Lazzaro Knowlton, Author/SCBWI: NOH Regional Advisor Emeritus
Denise Parsons, Author/SCBWI: NOH Events & Marketing Coordinator
Other SCBWI regions have inquired about our Calendars! Our 4th Annual CALENDAR CONTEST continues this year. GET READY NOW to submit your illustrations. Contact information for each winner listed on the back of the calendar, winners receive a free calendar and the attending Editors/Agents/Art Director for the 2014 Conference receives a calendar (free marketing for all the winners!).
Registration for SCBWI: Northern Ohio IN THE HEART OF IT ALL annual conference is MONDAY, JULY 7 at 10:00am for SCBWI members.
Here are a few helpful tips for when you register:
-PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME.
-Fill out each screen completely.
-Hit CONTINUE on the bottom of each screen to advance thru the registration.
-Hit FINISH on the checkout screen to complete your registration.
-Use the back arrow to navigate to a previous screen.
-'Click here' links will open in a NEW WINDOW from your registration. Toggle between the new tabs and your registration for reference.
-DO NOT close your registration (hitting the X on the tab on the top of your browser or completely closing your browser) BEFORE you complete your registration.
-Selections WILL NOT be saved if you do not hit FINISH on the checkout screen to complete your registration.
Here is an extra tip regarding an issue last year with the add-ons. Add-ons are an extra fee beyond the registration. You must insert a 1 in the quantity box to the right of the price for the registration to select this add-on, THEN select your faculty/time where applicable. You will see on the checkout page these additional fees. If you don't, then you forgot to add a 1 in the quantity box. You will need to go back (using the back arrows) to that screen and reselect that add-on and reselect your faculty/time. Note, your original faculty may not be available anymore and you'll have to pick someone else or another time slot.
Find complete details for the conference at: https://www.regonline.com/2014SCBWINorthernOhiofallconference
Reconnect…Recharge…..Northern Ohio SCBWI's 11th Anniversary Conference
September 20 – 21, 2013
Our 11th annual conference was a smashing success!
• Linda Epstein, Associate Agent, The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency
• Erica Finkel, Assistant Editor, Abrams Books for Young Readersa and Amulet Books
• Karen Grencik, Agent, Red Fox Literary
• Andrea Welch, Senior Editor, Beach Lane Books
• Merideth Harte, Art Director, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
• Rebecca Barnhouse, Author
• Mary Kay Carson, Author
• Judith Irvin-Kuns, Author
• Mary Ryan, Author
• Lisa Wheeler, Author
• Nancy Roe Pimm, Author
• Leslie Helakoski, Author/Illustrator
• Denise Parsons, Author, NOH SCBWI Board Member
• Sophie Cayless, Author/Illustrator, NOH SCBWI Board Member
• Jennifer McGowan, Author
• Demitria Lunetta, Author
• Geoffrey Girard, Author
• Kate Karyus Quinn, Author
• Mindy McGinnis, Author
• Kelly Barson, Author
• Picture Book Intensives: Lisa Wheeler and Leslie Helakoski
• MG/YA Intensive: Rebecca Barnhouse
• Nonfiction/Biography Intensive: Mary Kay Carson
• Illustrator Promotional Consultations: Merideth Harte
Friday General & Panel Sessions:
• Conference 101: Jean Daigneau and Lisa Amstutz
• 2K13 YA-Debut Author Panelists
• Editor Panel: Q & A
• Agent Panel Q & A
• Twitter 101: Denise Parsons
• Self-Edit and Revision Tips: Laurie Lazzaro Knowlton
• Yes, Authors Can Draw Too: Sophie Cayless
Book Basket Donation
One of the many highlights of our N. Ohio SCBWI fall conference is the presentation of the BOOK BASKET. For those who have attended our fall conferences, you know what an emotional and uplifting experience this brings. The recipients are beyond-words appreciative by the generosity of donated books from our members. Tears flow.
This year's BOOK BASKET recipient was Positive Education Program of Cleveland, Ohio. Positive Education Program (PEP) has been serving children with both mental health issues and learning challenges after experiencing repeated failure in typical school settings and in their communities.
Because of their learning challenges (many students come to us reading more than two years below grade level) PEP students often have an uncomfortable relationship with reading and books. PEP's staff is trained to use the Wilson Language Program and have developed an intervention-based bibliotherapy program. These two programs help children learn to decode while learning to love characters and story lines in some of the most popular children's books available. Our donated books will help further this important effort.
For more information, go to: http://www.pepcleve.org/work.aspx.
On Friday evening we recognized our members who were published in 2013. Each shared about their journey to publication and things they had learned along the way. This year's honorees included:
• Lisa J. Amstutz: Show Me Polar Animals, Creepy Crawlers: Cicadas, Creepy Crawlers: Cockroaches, Creepy Crawlers: Centipedes
• Joan Arbogast: My First Communion Remembrance Book
• Cinda Williams Chima: The Crimson Crown HB
• Liz Coley: Pretty Girl-13
• Kathy Ansberry D'Aquila: Wonderful Willy
• Mike DeSantis: Highlights for Children Magazine (Feb, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct), Game On – Hidden Pictures, Surprise – Hidden Pictures, Dotty Dogs – Hidden Pictures, Out in Space – Hidden Pictures
• Amanda Flower: Andi Unexpected
• Brandon Marie Miller: Women of the Frontier, 16 Tales of Trailblazing Homesteaders, Entrepreneurs and Rabble-Rousers
• D. Robert Pease: Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble, Noah Zarc: Cataclysm, Noah Zarc: Declaration
• Tricia Springstubb: Phoebe and Digger
• Mialie T. Szymanski: (Puppy Tails) Title TBA, (Puppy Tails) "Star Dust", (Puppy Tails) "Couch Sailing", (Puppy Tails) "Kite Flying"