(Go to main conference page)
MANUSCRIPT CRITIQUE DETAILS
Please note that a critique is not a submission. Critiques with “acquiring” faculty members (i.e., editors, agents, art directors) sell out quickly, but all attendees will receive information for post-conference submissions to acquiring faculty. Author/illustrator faculty give fabulous feedback too (especially if they work with an age group or genre similar to yours)! They can help you refine your work before you submit it.
- • You may sign up for a maximum of two critiques: one face-to-face, and one written-only.
- • You may not sign up for two face-to-face critiques (e.g., manuscript and portfolio).
- • New for 2019: you may only sign up for one critique with an “acquiring” faculty member (e.g., editor, agent, art director). If you want a second critique, choose one of our author/illustrator faculty members.
Manuscripts submitted for critiques will be handled electronically. They should be in Microsoft Word document format with double-spacing and emailed to email@example.com. All submissions are due by August 5 (so that faculty will have adequate time to review them).
No cover letter or query letter is needed — please only send the manuscript (or excerpt). It’s tough to manage more than one file per person, and we have a lot of critiques!
If you are sending a section of your manuscript and you feel that synopsis is needed for the reviewer to understand the context, you can include one at the beginning of your manuscript, and it counts toward the page total (but a synopsis is brief, right? so it’s not cutting into the material to be reviewed).
Can I send more than one manuscript if it fits into my 10 (or 15) pages? Per one of my wise faculty members, “each manuscript, regardless of how short, requires the same amount of attention.” Remember that elements of a story to be assessed (e.g., character, plot, sense of place) apply to all genres. Please only include one project in the manuscript document.
• Include your name and contact info
• Microsoft Word format
• Check your page count (10 pages max for face-to-face, 15 pages max for written only)
• One story max (i.e., not 20 tiny picture book manuscripts)
• A query or cover letter is not needed
• One file per critique (However, if you choose to include a dummy with a picture book manuscript, you may also attach a PDF, less than 5MB in size)
• If you sign up for two critiques, you can send the same manuscript to both, or a different one to each.
• Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PORTFOLIO CRITIQUE ($45 additional fee)
You can receive feedback on your portfolio in a 15-minute, one-on-one critique with a faculty member. You will select the faculty member when you register (critique slots fill quickly). The time slots for the critiques will be during the breakout sessions on Saturday, and you will receive your critique time when you check-in at the conference.
FACE-TO-FACE CRITIQUE ($45 additional fee)
You may submit up to 10 pages of your manuscript to be critiqued with you in a 15-minute, one-on-one session with a faculty member. You will select the faculty member when you register (critique slots fill quickly). The time slots for the critiques will be during the breakout sessions on Saturday, and you will receive your critique time when you check-in at the conference.
WRITTEN-ONLY CRITIQUES ($45 additional fee)
You may submit up to 15 pages of your manuscript to be given a written-only critique by a faculty member. There will be no face-to-face meeting. You will select the faculty member when you register (critique slots fill quickly).