Join us for our first virtual picture book retreat! It’s a going to be a Triple-Scoop Picture Book ReTREAT!
Here’s the Scoop(s):
SCOOP 1 (June 5): Picture book craft presentation by an agent or editor to inspire your project revision process, followed by small group critiques led by your assigned* picture book author coach!
SCOOP 2 (June 12): A second picture book craft presentation to fuel more revision ideas, followed by another small group critique session with your assigned picture book coach with the goal of getting your picture book ready for…
SCOOP 3 (June 19): A small group first-impression critique session with an agent or editor matched with your group — and your picture book coach will be there to cheer you on! The cherry on top will be an agent/editor Q&A panel to wrap up the retreat.
Sprinkles: You’ll have the option to purchase a post-retreat written critique with the agent or editor matched with your small group.
Extra Topping: You’ll also have the opportunity to submit your picture book project to any of the participating agents and editors.
(*Please Note: The SCBWI Ohio North Regional Team will assign manuscripts to faculty, based on what they are interested in critiquing and acquiring. We cannot accomodate any specific faculty requests and no changes to small group assignments can be made.)
How Do You Know You’re Ready for the Triple-Scoop Picture Book ReTREAT?
The ReTREAT can accommodate up to 80 participants. The ReTREAT is intended for:
• Writers who have already put in time and effort to learn about picture book craft
• Writers who have already written a lot of picture book manuscripts as part of developing and improving their craft
• Writers who have a completed picture book manuscript ready to submit for the ReTREAT that has already been critiqued in some way and revised to the point where it feels strong, but will benefit from coaching to take it to the next level for querying or submission.
(More About ReTREAT Manuscripts: Due on April 30. Upon registration, you will receive a Google form to answer questions about your manuscript to help match with a PAL Coach and editor/agent and to submit your manuscript file. This will be the project you’ll work on over the course of the ReTREAT. For purposes of the retreat, fiction manuscripts should be 700 words or less and non-fiction should be 900 words or less. Illustrators can also submit their picture book dummy, but the small group critiques will focus on the manuscript.)
• Writers who have practice in receiving feedback on their work and have an openness and willingness to listen to constructive input from industry professionals and consider the feedback while revising each week between retreat sessions
• Early Bird Member Rate (before May 10) is $175
• Early Bird Non-Member Rate (before May 10) is $225
• Regular Member Rate (after May 10) is $225
• Regular Non-Member Rate (after May 10) is $275
• Optional written-only critique feedback from the assigned editor/agent is $45
Sunday, April 11, 2021 by 11:00 pm EST: “Under-Represented Voices” Scholarship Manuscripts Due
Sunday, April 18, 2021: Scholarship Award Date
Monday, April 19, 2021 7:00 pm EST: Registration opens
Friday, April 30, 2021**: ReTREAT Manuscript and Google Form Due
Monday, May 10, 2021: Early Bird Registration Ends
Monday, May 24, 2021: Registration Closes
Saturday, June 5, 2021 9:00 am – 12:30 pm EST: ReTREAT Scoop 1
Friday, June 11, 2021 3 pm EST: Revised Manuscripts for Scoop 2 Due
Saturday, June 12, 2021 9:00 am – 12:30 pm EST: ReTREAT Scoop 2
Friday, June 18, 2021 3 pm EST: Revised Manuscripts for Scoop 3 Due
Saturday, June 19, 2021 9:00 am – 12:30 pm EST: ReTREAT Scoop 3
Sunday, June 20, 2021: Optional Written Critique with Assigned Editor/Agent Purchase Due
Thursday, July 1, 2021: Optional Written Critique Manuscripts Due (written critiques returned approximately 4 weeks later)
**(or one week past registration date)
• Our FACULTY
• The ReTreat SCHEDULE
• Use this link to REGISTER (Registration opens on Monday, April 19 at 7:00pm ET.)
• Check out (and spread the word about) our “Under-represented Voices” scholarship
Please send an email to email@example.com if you have any questions.