SCBWI Ohio North is offering an Under-Represented Voices Scholarship for our Triple-Scoop Picture Book Revision ReTREAT.
Per the SCBWI Equity and Inclusion Statement, “We accept the challenge and responsibility of becoming agents of change by affirming the need for increased representation in every facet of the children’s and YA book industry.” We hope that this scholarship can play some small part in advancing that goal.
The recipient will receive:
• One year free membership to SCBWI
• Free tuition to the 2021 Triple-Scoop Picture Book Revision ReTREAT
• A free written-only manuscript critique from the faculty editor/agent assigned to the recipient’s critique group
• You must be 18 years of age or older.
• You must be an author or author/illustrator with a draft picture book manuscript (see main ReTREAT page for details).
• You must be a resident of Ohio or attend a full-time college program in Ohio.
• You must not be a current (or expired) member of SCBWI (i.e., this is intended to be for a new member).
• You identify with an under-represented experience in children’s publishing, including (but not limited to) people identifying within LGBTQIA+; Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC); neurodiversity; mental illness; people with disabilities; and cultural and religious minorities.
• Submissions due Sunday, April 11, 2021 by 11 pm EST. Recipients will be notified by Sunday, April 18, 2021.
• Send your picture book manuscript (PDF or DOC) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Scholarship.” The picture book manuscript should be less than 700 words for fiction or less than 900 words for nonfiction. The picture book manuscript must not have been previously published by a traditional children’s book publisher. Applicants are not obligated to disclose anything they do not feel comfortable doing so and the work submitted for the scholarship does not need to reflect an under-represented experience, but that is welcome.
• Be sure to include your full name and residence (or college) zip code in your email submission.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.