One of our recent faculty generously donated their honorarium to start the “Under-represented Voices Scholarship.” Per the SCBWI Equity and Inclusion Statement, “We accept the challenge and responsibility of becoming agents of change by affirming the need for increased representation in every facet of the children’s and YA book industry.” We hope that this scholarship can play some small part in advancing that goal.
There are two scholarships available, one for a writer, and one for an illustrator. The recipients will receive:
• One year free membership to SCBWI
• Free tuition to the SCBWI Northern Ohio 2020 Online Conference
• A free critique (portfolio review or written manuscript) at the SCBWI Northern Ohio 2020 Online Conference
• You must be 18 years of age or older.
• You must be a resident of Ohio or attend a full-time college program in Ohio.
• You must not be a current (or expired) member of SCBWI (i.e., this is intended to be for a new member).
• You must identify with an under-represented experience in children’s publishing, including (but not limited to) LGBTQIA+, Native, people of color, gender diversity, neuro diversity, people with disabilities, and cultural and religious minorities.
• Submissions must be received by midnight (ET) on 9/21/2020.
• Writers: send a writing sample from a work intended for children (i.e., picture book through young adult) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The writing sample should be less than 1,000 words. If the sample is an excerpt from a longer work you may include a synopsis of the work (optional). The writing sample must not have been previously published by a traditional children’s book publisher.
• Illustrators: send three illustration samples that are relevant to children’s publishing to email@example.com. Images should be in a *.jpg or *.pdf format, and the total size of the images should be less than 5MB. You may also include links to a web site or portfolio page (optional). The images must not have been previously published by a traditional children’s book publisher.
• Be sure to include your full name and residence (or college) zip code in your email submission.
Recipients will be notified by 9/26/2020. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.